So here are 10 things I think every student nurse, future nurse, and RN should know:
1. Double glove. We don't want a Meredith Grey incident on our hands.
2. Speaking of Grey's Anatomy, their scrubs are top notch. Three words: pockets, Pockets, POCKETS
3. Snacking is a must. We have access to the nutrition room full of crackers and graham crackers. Use it to your advantage.
4. It's okay to take IV supplies home every now and then. We have to practice somehow, and what better way then to dummy on our fellow interns.
5. Always have an abundance of alcohol pads on you at all times.
6. Same goes for Normal Saline.
7. Hand Santizer = sticky hands. Actually wash your hands hourly.
8. Take time to listen to the sweet 80 year old and his stories about wooing his wife of 50 years.
9. The patient is always right. Except when they are wrong... You'll get the hang of it.
10. A smile goes a long way. Even if the patient seems as though he/she was sent by the devil, I found that a smile on my face might just be the cure they need. The patient is your number one priority, and this smile will make your job a heck of a lot easier and even more worthwhile.
These simple tips help me now, and I'm sure by the end of this experience, I'll have much more. I don't know if I got the point across, but I do LOVE what I do. I'm glad my life has taken me on a path I think will shape me into the person I want to be. I'm almost there, but I still have a lot of growing up to do. Until then, I'll continue savin lives, one foley at a time.